Register for the 2016-17 Enrollment Lottery
Lutz Preparatory School, A Hillsborough County Public Charter School of Choice
Kindergarten through Eighth Grade
Applications for the 2016-2017 enrollment lottery will be accepted Tuesday, September 1, 2015 until 1:30 PM Wednesday, February 24, 2016.
2) ALREADY HAVE A LOTTEREASE ACCOUNT: If you already have a Lotterease account from any school, you do not need to register a new account. Just log into your account, click on your student on the left hand side of the page, select EDIT LOTTERY REGISTRATION, select SUBMIT. Select the option “Enter (student name) into another lottery”, and then skip to #6 below.
3) NEW LOTTEREASE REGISTRATION: To register an account for the first time in Lotterease, select REGISTRATION.
4) Create a Lotterease Parent Account by entering your parent contact information on this screen – DO NOT ENTER YOUR STUDENT’S INFORMATION. Select SUBMIT.
5) Select ADD CHILD, then enter your student’s information and select SUBMIT.
6) Select the school you are applying to (please note multiple schools throughout Hillsborough County use this online waitlist and lottery system), please select the following:
i) Lutz Prep K-8 for the Hillsborough County Public K-8 Charter School
7) PLEASE SELECT THE GRADE THAT YOUR STUDENT WILL ENTER IN 2016-2017 for the lottery. Please note: If you select the wrong grade and do not correct it, your student will be entered into the grade level lottery you selected. Please note, some grades in the K-8 are still available to add your student’s name to the wait list for the current school year (2015-16), please make sure you are selecting the correct school year you are interested in (wait list for 2015-2016 or Enrollment Lottery for 2016-17) when selecting the grade. Select SUBMIT.
8) Please read the APPLICATION PREFERENCE GROUP page carefully and select the group that defines your student. If your student is not defined by one of the Florida State Statute 1002.33 preference groups please select NONE. If you select a Preference Group other than NONE please be aware it will be validated by our staff prior to the Lottery for accuracy.
9) Once you have created a Lotterease Parent Account you will be able to:
a) Monitor your student’s application, lottery results, and wait list status 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
b) Edit your account (update e-mail address and/or phone number, etc.).
c) Add your student to additional wait lists or lotteries.
d) Remove your student from the lottery if you change your mind.
e) Accept or decline a seat at the school if one is offered to your student.
f) Please remember to update your e-mail address in Lotterease if it changes after you completed the online application. We do not contact parents by phone or via U.S. Mail.
Frequently Asked Questions, 2016-17 Enrollment Lottery
Lutz Preparatory School, A Hillsborough County Public Charter School of Choice
Kindergarten through Eighth Grade
STATE ENROLLMENT GUIDELINES
Lutz Preparatory School is a Hillsborough Public Charter School of Choice and is governed by Florida State Statutes with regards to enrollment guidelines.
PLEASE NOTE: These eligible student enrollment guidelines can change at any time by Lutz Preparatory Charter School Policy or by Florida State Statute.
Excerpt from FSS 1002.33
(10) ELIGIBLE STUDENTS.—
(b) The charter school shall enroll an eligible student who submits a timely application, unless the number of applications exceeds the capacity of a program, class, grade level, or building. In such case, all applicants shall have an equal chance of being admitted through a random selection process.
(d) A charter school may give enrollment preference to the following student populations:
1. Students who are siblings of a student enrolled in the charter school.
2. Students who are the children of a member of the governing board of the charter school.
3. Students who are the children of an employee of the charter school.
4. Students who have successfully completed a voluntary prekindergarten education program under ss. 1002.51-1002.79 provided by the charter school or the charter school’s governing board during the previous year.
5. Students who are the children of an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Forces.
STUDENTS RESIDING OUTSIDE OF HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY
· Lutz Preparatory School is a Hillsborough County Public Charter School serving students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Families living outside of Hillsborough County must request an out-of-county transfer from their current county of residence and also apply to enter Hillsborough County in order to attend Lutz Preparatory. Lutz Pre-Prep is a private pre-school serving Early Childhood 3 year olds and VPK 4 year olds; Pre-Prep students do not need to apply for out of county release or entrance.
· Detailed instructions for New or Returning Out of County Students to a Charter School can be found on our website under the Admissions\Information for Out-Of-County Residents section.
· PLEASE NOTE: The ENTER application and RELEASE final approval letter (we cannot accept the temporary application) must be submitted together to Lutz Preparatory along with your required registration paperwork if you are offered a spot in the school. We suggest you always keep a copy of submitted documents for your personal records. Most neighboring counties approve their out of county RELEASE requests at their monthly board meetings so it can take up to 30 days to receive your final approval.
ADMISSIONS FREQUENTY ASKED QUESTIONS
How does the Lottery work?
Lotterease will randomly sort all applicant names in each grade level.
No criteria are used to select students at Lutz Preparatory beyond the enrollment preference groups allowed by Florida State Statute notated above.
Example: If there are 400 applicants for Kindergarten and there are only 72 available slots, Lotterease will randomly sort all student names and the first 72 will be offered a seat. The remaining 328 students will make up the waiting list, in the order in which they were randomly selected.
How many openings are there in each grade? How is the number of openings determined?
For 1st through 8th grade openings, the number of available seats is determined by current K through 7th grade families who have completed an Intent to Return to Lutz Preparatory Form for the 2016-2017 school year. This commitment occurs in January each year and typically all parents notify us that their student will return in the upcoming year. So there are typically no or very few spots the day of the lottery for 1st – 8th grades. For Kindergarten, we will have 4 classes of 18 students in the 2016-2017 school year.
What happens if all current student commit to remain at Lutz Preparatory and there are no openings in 1st through 8th grades at the time of the lottery?
The lottery will still be held; however, the applicant names will be randomly selected to create the waiting list.
PLEASE NOTE: The summer months are extremely active with the all grades waiting lists, so please do not be discouraged if there are no openings at the time of the lottery.
Once the lottery occurs, you can monitor your student’s progression on the wait list via the Lotterease website 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What happens if there are not enough openings for enrollment preferred applicants defined by State Statute 1002.33?
The applicants (enrollment preferred and all others) are randomly ordered in the lottery, with the enrollment preferred students at the top of the list. If there are not enough openings in specific grades, the wait list will be made up of applicants (preferred and all others) in the order of their random selection.
Can I attend the lottery?
Because we are using an electronic system, it is completed within minutes per grade. Your attendance at the lottery has no impact on the results. We will not project the results by grade until after all 9 grade level lotteries have been run.
If you do wish to attend, we will be happy to assist you locate your student’s information on the results screen after all 9 grade level lotteries have been run. But, this would be the same results you can see from the comfort of your own home.
The school will not be open for tours the day of the lottery.
How will I be notified where my student ends up in the Lottery process?
You can check the Lotterease website any time after 2:30 PM on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 for your student’s individual results.
1. Select the grade level your student will enter in 2016-2017
2. Select Control F and type your student’s last name in the box that appears in the upper right side of the screen (if using a Mac, use Command F)
3. Your student’s name will be highlighted in the listing of names and you will be able to see if he or she was selected or wait listed.
4. If your student was selected, you can confirm attendance or decline attendance while on this page by selecting Edit and making your choice.
1. The other option is to wait for your official e-mail notification, which should be delivered to your inbox within 3 hours of the lottery.
2. When you receive your official notice or wait list number from Lotterease, please open the e-mail and follow the instructions to confirm or decline the official offer.
3. If your student has been selected, you can confirm attendance or decline attendance by clicking the link in the e-mail from Lotterease.
We also recommend that you check your junk/spam folders on a regular basis for future notifications from Lotterease, especially if your student was placed on the wait list.
What is the time frame to confirm or decline a spot when it is offered to me?
· February 24, 2016 through April 30, 2016 the time frame is 5 days
· May 1, 2016 through June 30, 2016, the time frame is 3 days
· July 1, 2016 through end of school year, the time frame is 2 days
These time frames include weekends and holidays.
How am I notified if there is an opening?
Once a parent declines a seat or if a student withdraws from the school, Lotterease will automatically generate an e-mail to notify the next student on the wait list. Parents have a set window outlined in the email in which to confirm or decline attendance.
Lutz Preparatory does not call to notify families or send notices through U.S. Mail.
My student was selected. What is the next step?
After the initial lottery has been run, you will have 5 days in which to “confirm” (accept) or “decline.” These 5 days include weekends and holidays.
The lottery will be held on Wednesday, February 24, 2016. Parents have until 11PM on Monday, February 29, 2016 to confirm the offer.
· If you do nothing by the deadline, your student’s name will be automatically moved to the bottom of the waiting list.
· If you accept the offer, you will receive a welcome e-mail from the school, along with a link to a Registration Form and information on when enrollment paperwork will be due.
· If you decline attendance, the next student on the waiting list will immediately be contacted.
What if I decline and then change my mind?
Unfortunately, once you decline the offer, the next student on the waiting list is immediately contacted. You can re-apply again for Lutz Preparatory, but your student’s name will be added to the end of the waiting list.
What if I want to confirm attendance but don’t do it within the time frame defined in the acceptance email?
Once the defined timeframe has passed, the slot is automatically offered to the next student on the wait list. You forfeit your slot if you do not respond within the time frame outlined in your email. There are no exceptions to the deadline.
How can I check the status of my student on the wait list?
You can check your student’s status on the wait list 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by logging into Lotterease and selecting the applicant list for the grade level lottery you entered. For Windows: Use the Control F function to locate your student’s name; for Mac: Use Command F to locate your student’s name.
Lotterease will send you an update e-mail to notify you when your student has moved into the top 5, as well as each time he or she moves into a ten position (i.e., 50, 40, 30, 20, 10).
Please remove your student’s information by using your Lotterease account before 2:00 PM on Wednesday, February 24, 2016.
I live in a county other than Hillsborough. Can my student still attend Lutz Preparatory if selected?
If your student is selected and you reside outside of Hillsborough County, you must complete required paperwork to apply to ENTER Hillsborough County and to be RELEASED from your home county.
PLEASE NOTE: The ENTER application and RELEASE final approval letter (we cannot accept the temporary letter stating you have applied) must be submitted together to Lutz Preparatory with your required registration paperwork. We suggest you always keep a copy of submitted documents for your personal records. . Most neighboring counties approve their out of county RELEASE requests at their monthly board meetings so it can take up to 30 days to receive your final approval.
It is recommended that students who are ranked high on the wait list also begin the process for release from your home county. This does not impact your student’s enrollment in your home district. Due to length of time it takes to receive the final approval you could potentially not have the approval letter in time to meet registration deadlines at Lutz Preparatory if you student is offered a spot. Again, Lutz Preparatory cannot enroll your student until he or she is released from the home district and has approval from the School District of Hillsborough County, and the documents are submitted to our registrar.